Language and contents of judgment :
Section – 354 . (1) Except as otherwise expressly provided by this Code, every judgment referred to in section 353,â€”
|(a)||Â||shall be written in the language of the Court ;|
|(b)||Â||shall contain the point or points for determination, the decision thereon and the reasons for the decision ;|
|(c)||Â||shall specify the offence (if any) of which, and the section of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860) or other law under which, the accused is convicted and the punishment to which he is sentenced;|
|(d)||Â||if it be a judgment of acquittal, shall state the offence of which the accused is acquitted and direct that he be set at liberty.|
(2) When the conviction is under the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860) and it is doubtful under which of two sections, or under which of two parts of the same section, or that Code the offence falls, the Court shall distinctly express the same, and pass judgment in the alternative.
(3) When the conviction is for an offence punishable with death or, in the alternative, with imprisonment for life or imprisonment for a term of years, the judgment shall state the reasons for the sentence awarded, and, in the case of sentence of death, the special reasons for such sentence.
(4) When the conviction is for an offence punishable with imprisonment for a term of one year or more, but the Court imposes a sentence of imprisonment for a term of less than three months, it shall record its reasons for awarding such sentence, unless the sentence is one of imprisonment till the rising of the Court or unless the case was tried summarily under the provisions of this Code.
(5) When any person is sentenced to death, the sentence shall direct that he be hanged by the neck till he is dead.
(6) Every order under section 117 or sub-section (2) of section 138 and every final order made under section 125, section 145 or section 147 shall contain the point or points for determination, the decision thereon and the reasons for the decision
Latest posts by Tina Saha (see all)
- Seeks to amend notification No. 8/2017- Integrated Tax (Rate) so as to notify IGST rates of various services as recommended by Goods and Services Tax Council in its 28th meeting held on 21.07.2018. - November 16, 2018
- Seeks to exempt payment of tax under section 5(4) of the IGST Act, 2017 till 30.09.2018 - November 14, 2018
- Seeks to amend notification No. 04/2017- Integrated Tax (Rate) dated 28.06.2017 so as to notify levy of Priority Sector Lending Certificate (PSLC) under Reverse Charge Mechanism (RCM) - November 14, 2018