Language and contents of judgment :
Section – 354 . (1) Except as otherwise expressly provided by this Code, every judgment referred to in section 353,â€”
|(a)||Â||shall be written in the language of the Court ;|
|(b)||Â||shall contain the point or points for determination, the decision thereon and the reasons for the decision ;|
|(c)||Â||shall specify the offence (if any) of which, and the section of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860) or other law under which, the accused is convicted and the punishment to which he is sentenced;|
|(d)||Â||if it be a judgment of acquittal, shall state the offence of which the accused is acquitted and direct that he be set at liberty.|
(2) When the conviction is under the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860) and it is doubtful under which of two sections, or under which of two parts of the same section, or that Code the offence falls, the Court shall distinctly express the same, and pass judgment in the alternative.
(3) When the conviction is for an offence punishable with death or, in the alternative, with imprisonment for life or imprisonment for a term of years, the judgment shall state the reasons for the sentence awarded, and, in the case of sentence of death, the special reasons for such sentence.
(4) When the conviction is for an offence punishable with imprisonment for a term of one year or more, but the Court imposes a sentence of imprisonment for a term of less than three months, it shall record its reasons for awarding such sentence, unless the sentence is one of imprisonment till the rising of the Court or unless the case was tried summarily under the provisions of this Code.
(5) When any person is sentenced to death, the sentence shall direct that he be hanged by the neck till he is dead.
(6) Every order under section 117 or sub-section (2) of section 138 and every final order made under section 125, section 145 or section 147 shall contain the point or points for determination, the decision thereon and the reasons for the decision
Latest posts by Tina Saha (see all)
- Apply for 12th ICAI Leaders & Business Excellence Awards being organised by Committee for Members in Industry & Business (CMI&B) before 15th December, 2018 - September 18, 2018
- Assessment Test of the Certificate Course on International Taxation organized by the Committee on International Taxation of ICAI -14th October, 2018 (Sunday) – 2.00 PM to 5.00 PM - September 18, 2018
- Next Batch of Educational Course by ICAI Registered Valuers Organsiation (ICAI RVO) at Hotel Fortune Select Excalibur, Main Sohna road, Sector 49, Gurgaon from 6th October to 28th October, 2018 - September 18, 2018